- Pink = Female higher than male
- Green = Equal
- Blue = Male higher than female
- Grey = No data
In regions where women are considered less valuable and are often aborted (many of the blue regions), women suffer. The scarce amount of women, combined with the fact that they are considered lesser-than makes for a very hostile situation. This is what happens when the ratio of men to women is high:
1) Trafficking and kidnapping of girls and women increases dramatically.
2) Cases of rape and molestation go up.
3) Women and girls from regions where the sex ratio is normal (and where the status of women is higher) are ‘imported’ as brides and often live unhappy lives as they find it hard to adjust to a male dominated, restrictive atmosphere.
4) Cases of polygamy (without the woman’s consent) increase.
5) Suicide rates of young women go up.
6) Fewer women go out to work.
7.) Very young girls are pushed into marriage…there is an increase in child marriages. This leads to less women being educated and health problems as children are born to very young girls.